Environmental Allergy & Available Testing
Environmental allergies can not only cause nasal and eye symptoms but can lead to chronic sinus disease and worsening asthma.
Common triggers for allergies include dust mites, animal dander, molds and pollens.
Should I Be Tested?
Many people with untreated allergy symptoms aren’t aware of how much better they can feel once their symptoms are properly diagnosed and managed. Common symptoms include:
- Itchy eyes, nose and throat
- Nasal congestion or runny nose
- Watery and red eyes
- Cough and post nasal drainage
- Hives, itchiness or other skin conditions
Types of Allergy Tests
Allergy tests are the best and safest way to tell exactly what triggers your symptoms.
- Skin tests: This is the most common kind of testing. In this test, a small amount of allergen is placed on your skin, and this area is pricked or scratched. If you are allergic, you’ll experience a little swelling at the site of the prick test. Results of this test are usually available within 15 minutes.
- Intradermal tests: Intradermal tests are more sensitive than prick tests, and may be used when prick test results are inconclusive.
Treatment involves three main categories of avoidance, medications and allergy shots.